Saturday, January 30, 2016

Zeppolis Wine Dinner

On Wednesday night some of my friends and I decided to go Zeppolis for their wine tasting. It was my first time going there and I thought it was a very nice experience. The restaurant was a good size to host large parties like the one I came with. We were able to get a table for eight without waiting very long at all. The food was very fast to come out and there was plenty for everyone.

The food included a cheese dish, baked chicken, salad, crackers, sliced potatoes and empanadas. Everything all you could eat and you served yourself. I tried everything and enjoyed every dish but some more so than others. The chicken was by far the best. It was juicy and the seasoning was used sparingly but enough to add flavor to the meat. The empanadas were average but a little too dry for my liking.



We tasted nine different wines while we were there. All of the wines were from South America with three whites and six reds. I'm did not take the greatest notes on all of them so I will just review three that I covered better than others.

The first that I will go over is Coquena Torrontes. This is a white Argentinian wine and it is a 2011 vintage. The shop review said it is fresh and fruity wine with a distinctive floral and refreshing acidity. I thought that it smelled like laundry detergent and did not taste much better. I would not try this wine again, especially with the price being $15 a bottle.

The next wine is La Lejania Carmenere. This is a 2015 red Chilean wine that goes for $10 a bottle. The shop review says that this wine has aromas of spicy cedars and blackberries and that the palate is firm and structured with more tannin than other wines. They also said this wine would improve greatly with age. I thought it was somewhat dry with an oak taste. I would drink this wine again but it would have to be with dinner.

Casa Silva Gran Merlot was my favorite red in the tasting. It was a 2006 Chilean wine that costs $15 a bottle. The shop review said that it has an aroma of red berries and cherries and has flavors of strawberries, cherries and a hint of chocolate. I found it to have a bitter taste of fruit and and a little taste of pepper. I noticed that this wine had a good deal of sediment in it. I would drink this wine again in the future.

I had a very good experience at Zeppolis and definitely look forward to the next tasting they have in two weeks. I would encourage others to go and try it out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment